Whatever brings you to the Gulf Shores area this Memorial Day, be prepared to have some fun and be welcomed in with true southern hospitality.
Here are some of our suggestions for enjoying the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend.
1. Hit the Beach!
I mean “Shore” is in our name. No trip to Gulf Shores would be complete without a day spent at our beautiful Gulf Shores beaches. There are plenty of free and low-cost things to do. You can:
· Build a sandcastle
· Collect shells
· Play a game of volleyball or frisbee
· Pack a picnic lunch
If just “hanging out” gets old, there are plenty more activities available to liven up your beach-going experience. You can:
· Charter a boat for deep-sea fishing
· Rent a jet ski, go on a banana boat ride or get the best view in the area with a parasail ride
· Take a water tour to see the dolphins
The beach fun possibilities are endless and a must-do on anyone’s list.
2. Get Wild at the Zoo
After you’ve soaked up all the fun you can handle at the beach, cruise on over and check out all the animals at the Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo. This zoo features over 300 animals and 22 endangered species! And if seeing just isn’t close enough, Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo has an Animal Encounters program where you can cuddle with a kangaroo, live it up with a lemur, or slow it down with a sloth. This one-of-a-kind opportunity puts you in touch with your wild side and has plenty of great photo ops for that perfect vaca selfie.
There is just something magical about fireworks that makes us think of warm nights, cool water, good food, and friends and family to celebrate with us. The OWA, named for the Muscogee Creek term for “water” provides a great location for watching the Memorial Day fireworks display. The OWA isn’t just known for its magnificent firework shows, though. It is also home to Alabama’s newest and largest retail, dining and entertainment development.So come early or stay late and experience what the south has to offer. There are amusement park rides for all ages, dining for foodies, and shopping for fashionistas!
4. Honoring the Fallen
Memorial Day is not just fun and games. The holiday was first started to remember those who had fallen in the Civil War; by 1971, Memorial Day had expanded to include all of those who have died in war or military action. It officially moved to the last Monday in May.
Fort Morgan, close to Gulf Shores and surrounded by beaches, is the perfect place to visit and learn more about the history of the area and the people that served. In addition to learning about historic battles, there are opportunities for outdoor activities. Beaches, nature trails, bird watching areas, and fishing can help provide a relaxing end to a busy day of touring the historical grounds.
5. Free Fun
Family vacations and getaways are perfect for coming together and making lasting memories. Memories don’t need to cost an arm and a leg, though. There are plenty of things to see and do right here in Gulf Shores that don’t cost a thing! You can see:
· The Orange Beach Waterfront Park – This peaceful family park offers walking paths and trails, covered pavilions, a lighted Kids’ Park, and picnic shelters with grills.
· The Orange Beach Art Center – The Orange Beach Art Center offers many different experiences in the arts like glass blowing! You can also take in the breathtaking views and visit the two-story museum featuring local artists.
· The Indian and Sea Museum – Starting life as a schoolhouse in 1910, this has become the home of the Indian and Sea Museum. The Indian and Sea Museum houses local artifacts celebrating the history of the early fishermen and Native Indians.
· Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge – The Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge, which means “safe harbor”, is home to many coastal plants and wildlife that are finding it hard to exist as surrounding land has become more developed. This sanctuary offers opportunities to fish, watch for birds and wildlife, boat, and hiking trails.
If you are looking to make your vacation a bit more permanent, there are plenty of buying opportunities in the Gulf Shores area. If you are ready to begin the search for your next Gulf Shores home, Kris Powell will help you find your dream home.